Allan Saint-Maximin will be missing when Newcastle face Crystal Palace on Friday night after picking up a muscle injury in training on the eve of the game, Sportsmail understands.
However, dressing-room sources say Steve Bruce was ready to drop the winger for the trip to Selhurst Park after a recent loss of form.
There is a feeling inside Newcastle’s Benton base that Saint-Maximin has not performed to his usual level since signing a new six-year contract last month.
Newcastle forward Allan Saint-Maximin will miss Friday’s trip to Crystal Palace due to an injury
Sources claim Steve Bruce was set to drop the winger for the clash in London due to poor form
And sources have told us that the 23-year-old was set to be relegated to the bench before the injury concern arose and he dropped out of a training session ahead of the game.
It means Bruce will be without one of his most creative players – as well as three Covid-19 absentees – as he tries to reverse a run of back-to-back defeats.
His friend Alan Shearer returned a stinging assessment on Match of the Day following Saturday’s 2-0 loss at home to Chelsea.
The 23-year-old Saint-Maximin is said to have picked up the setback while training recently
There have been concerns over Saint-Maximin’s displays since his lucrative six-year contract
‘The manager has to take responsibility because he sent the players out,’ he said.
‘They were very negative, there were nowhere near enough ideas going forward but also players have to take responsibility. They have to be braver in possession, work harder closing people down.
‘Jamaal Lascelles as a captain and a leader has to stop demanding protection from midfielders in front of him and Allan Saint-Maximin hasn’t broken a sweat since signing his new six-year contract.’
The post Allan Saint-Maximin is OUT of Newcastle’s trip to Crystal Palace with an injury appeared first on 247 News Around The World.