A homeless man who was charged with killling two people and injuring three others at a San Jose church had been deported from the U.S. three times and a string of convictions for violence, it has emerged.
Fernando De Jesus Lopez-Garcia, 32, is accused of killing two people and injuring three others in a mass stabbing at the California Baptist church housing the homeless on Sunday night.
The victims were an adult man who died at the scene, and an adult woman who died at a local hospital.
Lopez-Garcia, a Mexican citizen, has been charged with two murder counts, three counts of attempted murder, battery on a spouse or cohabitant and violating a protective order.
Fernando De Jesus Lopez-Garcia, 32, is accused of killing of two people and injuring of three others in a mass stabbing at a California Baptist church
Members of the San Jose Police Department are pictured investigating the homicide scene at Grace Baptist Church on Monday
The suspect has a criminal history spanning 15 years which includes convictions for disturbing the peace, giving false information to police, resisting arrest and assault with a deadly weapon, for which he was given two years in prison.
He had a pending misdemeanor domestic violence charge in Santa Clara County at the time the fatal stabbings occurred.
The suspect had been arrested for the misdemeanor in June but was later released after a request to notify Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) was not honoured, Fox News reported.
Mayor Sam Liccardo said Lopez-Garcia should not have been allowed on the streets, citing ‘multiple system failures’.
San Jose’s Grace Baptist Church is seen in the above image. The incident was reported at 7:53 pm local time on Sunday evening
Two people died and multiple others were injured in a stabbing Sunday night at a church in California where homeless people had been brought to shelter from the cold weather, police said
‘In those very rare circumstances when an undocumented offender has a record of violent or serious prior convictions, the county should be acting in accordance with the (California) Values Act in notifying ICE that a person will be released out into the community,’ he said.
David Jennings, San Francisco ICE Enforcement Removal Operations field office director, believes the attack could have been avoided.
He said: ‘Regrettably, politics continues to prevail over public safety, the detainers were ignored, and De Jesus Lopez-Garcia was released to the street.
‘Here we have catastrophic proof of the abject failure of California’s sanctuary policies.
‘The only person this policy protected was a criminal; permitting him to reoffend over and over again.’
He added: “Because of this recklessness, people lost their lives, allegedly at the hands of a repeat criminal and immigration offender,” continued Jennings. “These are deaths that likely could have been prevented had local law enforcement cooperated with ICE, as we have so effectively done in years past, toward the common goal of public safety.’
The San Jose Police Department tweeted that officers responded to the stabbing at Grace Baptist Church, located on the 400 block of E San Fernando Street, just after 8:40pm local time on Sunday
Video captured from the scene by CBS San Francisco shows a large police presence and a number of emergency vehicles
The San Jose Police Department tweeted just after 8:40pm local time Sunday that officers had responded to a series stabbings at Grace Baptist Church, located on the 400 block of E San Fernando Street.
They arrived to find ‘multiple stabbing victims’ at the scene, some of whom had suffered ‘life threatening injuries.’
San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo later confirmed that two victims had died.
Mayor Sam Liccardo said Lopez-Garcia should not have been allowed on the streets, citing ‘multiple system failures’. File image of Liccardo pictured above
‘Our hearts go out to the families of the two community members who have succumbed to stabbing wounds in the attack at Grace Baptist Church downtown tonight,’ Liccardo tweeted at 8:55pm on Sunday. ‘SJPD has arrested the suspect. Others are seriously wounded, & we keep them in our prayers.’
Mayor Liccardo tweeted: ‘Our hearts are torn for the victims and their loved ones in last night’s horrific stabbing at Grace Baptist Church in Downtown—we have lost two community members. We pray for the recovery of others seriously injured in that attack. We will provide more as info becomes available’
Video captured from the scene by CBS San Francisco shows a large police presence and a number of emergency vehicles outside the house of worship.
Source: | This article originally belongs to Dailymail.co.uk
The post Homeless man charged with killing two peopled had a string of convictions for violence appeared first on 247 News Around The World.